jueves, marzo 11, 2010

The usual suspects: a puzzle for the watcher

The usual suspects, a film by Bryan Singer, is a movie for the people who like the challenges. Finding to Keyser Söze before the end appears is the biggest one.

And all elements in this movie are fixed to be a part of that challenge. The flashback, the shadows, the jumps sequence- which sometimes are related with subtitles (six weeks ago), and other times with zoom in movements, everyone is part of this goal.

The director chose non-incidental music which highlighted the suspense sequences.

Even though he is not the main actor, I liked the work of Benicio del Toro, possibly because I’ve seen him in another movies (Che, my favourite), and he looks a little weird. He is a very flexible actor, and in this movie he appears like a Latin man: the costume, the hairstyle. And I liked the other casting members too, but Del Toro was the best.

Not only were the puzzle, or the casting good for me, but the camera aesthetic was excellent. I was a cameraman and I really like this profession. And when I’m watching a movie, I put my head in this element.

Singer uses closed shots, shadows, movements, lights, and another elements with the goal of his puzzle. For example, in one shot the camera is focused on “Verbal” as he is taking a cup of coffee. The zoom-in approaches to his head as he is answering to the cop. It was the way which Singer selected to do a jump in the storyline.

This puzzle it was a really good movie for me. I liked it a lot despite despite the fact I could not understand the sense of some scenes.

No hay comentarios.: